Jan in LeavesLife with mesothelioma, a man-made silent killer, is distressing. Many of us have hope taken away the day we are diagnosed when we are told that many patients die within a year. Why can’t the doctors say that each diagnosis is different and by following a medical journey to suit the patient our odds can change?


I was given a year, yet here I am nine years later. Last month, for the second time since being diagnosed I thought my time was here. The mesothelioma spread to my abdomen and pelvic area – I thought my time had come. Indeed, these last few weeks have been difficult, and my positive outlook certainly has taken a knocking. I was refused further chemotherapy treatment, but I got a second opinion and I was brought back to the land of positivity. My wish was granted, and I am about to start a new round of chemo.


Another setback was having a PleurX drain fitted. This again knocked me back, and before I could fully recover I managed to catch one of those colds that seem to come from nowhere. This then lead to a chest infection, once again taking me to the ground, dragging my energy levels very low, and causing me to drop weight. Now, with the help of some steroids and a change of antibiotics I am back to fighting. Mentally and physically I am still battling.


Our mental outlook is as important to fighting this cancer as the treatment we receive from the medical institutions. But we need the medical professionals to give us this mental hope.


The mesothelioma community has taken a lot of losses during 2013, even sadder is the number of newly diagnosed sufferers. Still, many are told their chances of survival are grim. Why? A good doctor should explain each route of treatment, be it surgical, chemotherapy, radiotherapy or trials, each option should be spoken openly about and given to the patient to digest. This instantly gives a mental battle ground that goes a long way towards improving a patient’s outlook.


Many mesothelioma patients are now outliving this 12-month period, and the cancer is being detected earlier. So please professionals, start showing you are professional and get your patients fighting not dying.



More articles by Jan Egerton


Jan Egerton first began having pain in her back in 1998, and was finally diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma in August 2004. She has endured years of surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and more, but continues to live her life on her own terms and not as a victim of the disease. Jan has been chronicling her journey through her blog, Mesothelioma – Jan’s Journey.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top